The North American Yale was built in Sainte-Laurent, Quebec. The Yale was the forerunner to the very successful North American Harvard. The most obvious difference between the two aircraft was the landing gear: the Yale sported fixed gear as opposed to Harvard’s retractable undercarriage.
The Yale did not include an electric starter, therefore engines had to be hand cranked. The aircraft was significantly underpowered but still provided a valuable service in training aircrew at the outbreak of the Second World War.
Yale 3411 was taken on strength with the Royal Canadian Air Force on September 16, 1940. It was assigned to No. 1 Training Command’s No. 1 Service Flying Training School at R.C.A.F. Station Camp Borden, Ontario.
During its time there, the aircraft was involved in three accidents. Damage sustained during training resulted in the aircraft being taken o strength for a conversion to a wireless trainer at No. 6 Repair Depot, R.C.A.F. Station Trenton on May 4, 1943. It was taken back on strength by No. 1 Training Command on May 2, 1944.
With over 3,000 hours of flying time, Yale 3411 was taken off strength with the R.C.A.F. on September 25, 1946. It was later sold to a private collector who owned the aircraft until 1970. Eventually, it was acquired by Hamilton’s Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum.
In 2014 the Yale aircraft joined the NAFMC collection.